Brothers Fitzgerald and Samuel McCleery arrived September 26, 1862 and set up a farm in what would become the city of Vancouver. (And their farm would become a public golf course.) A month later a Yorkshire potter named John Morton saw a chunk of Burrard Inlet coal on display in a New Westminster shop window and wondered if near that coal there might be fine clay suitable for pottery. There was clay, but of a quality suitable only for bricks, and so Morton and two associates preempted 550 acresat a price equivalent to $1.01 an acrewith a view to becoming brickmakers. (They spent, some thought, far too much money for the remote "Brickmaker's Claim," and one newspaper report derisively described them as "three greenhorn Englishmen.") The "three greenhorns" built a cabin near the north foot of today's Burrard Street and began to raise cows. The property they had selected, now the West End of Vancouver, made two of them wealthy, one of them (John Morton) very much so.
There is no need to make sedan or limousine reservations in advance. For walk-out service at the Vancouver Airport Authority (YVR), all you have to do is exit the terminal from the domestic or international arrivals level and look for LimoJet Gold sedans and limousines.
Meantime Vancouver had been having an unbroken boom of its own for 20 years, with the railway bringing in new arrivals every day. The city's population leaped from 13,709 to 29,000 in the 10 years between 1891 and 1901 ... and then it began to explode. The CPR's first Hotel Vancouver had opened in 1888, the year after the railway arrived. The companywhich was reaping a bonanza from sales of its propertybuilt the lavish Opera House where Sarah Bernhardt would perform in 1891. Stanley Park was officially opened, the B.C. Sugar Refinery was gaining new markets, the first Granville Street bridge leaped bravely across False Creek and The Vancouver Board of Trade launched itself with a banquet in which every attendee got a full dinner and a bottle of fine champagne, Tab: $12.50. The Vancouver Club and the Terminal City Club, private clubs for monied businessmen, began. Electric streetcars began to clang along city streets, leading quickly to the famed Interurban lines to Burnaby, Steveston, New Westminster and the Fraser Valley. The first of the CPR's Empress line of ocean liners pulled into port. Canneries at Steveston were shipping salmon everywhere, setting a record in 1901 with 16 million pounds. With all this growth and new sophistication there were occasional reminders it could still be a raw, largely untamed place: there were more anti-Asiatic riots in 1907, a Vancouver by-law restricted the number of cows that could be kept within city limits, and Burnaby's first law enforcer included among his regular duties the reporting of swine running loose.
Less than a month later (July 4, 1886) the first scheduled CPR transcontinental passenger train reached a still cranky Port Moody and, also in July, the first inward cargo to the port of Vancouvertea from Chinaarrived. Then Vancouver's first bank, the Bank of British Columbia (no connection with today's), opened. The first CPR passenger train to arrive in Vancouver, famous little #374, chugged in in May of 1887, adorned with a large photograph of Queen Victoria. The first passenger to step down onto the platform was a 22-year-old Welshman named Jonathan Rogers who would become a prominent Vancouver developer and philanthropist. A band began to play a triumphant ditty called See, the Conquering Hero Comes. Rogers later laughingly admitted he thought they were playing it for him. The first train was followed a month later by the arrival from Japan of the CPR-chartered S.S. Abyssinia with a cargo of tea, silk and mail bound for London. The Abyssinia's arrival marked the beginning of the trans-Pacific, trans-Atlantic trade using the new railway. It left no doubt the little city was going to thrive.
When the CPR announced Vancouver would be the railway's terminus, the town's population was about 400. (Four years after the railway arrived, it was 13,000.) Incorporation came April 6, 1886 at a modest ceremony in Jonathan Miller's house. A civic election followed quickly. A month later the first piece of business at the first meeting of Vancouver's first city council, presided over by its first mayor, Malcolm Maclean, was the drafting of a petition to lease from the federal government a 1,000-acre military reserve to be used by the city as a park, That became Stanley Park.
As the official limousine service at Vancouver Airport Authority (YVR), LimoJet Gold’s sedans and limousines are parked curbside 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Just look for their stand when you exit the terminal on both domestic and international arrivals levels. Their sedans and limousines are identified by the gold letter “L” in the rear window. There is also a “Limousine for Hire” sign on site beside their limousines and sedans.
In 1861 the first newspaper (New Westminster's British Columbian) appeared; in 1862 the first real hospital was built; a telegraph line went in in 1865 (its first message the assassination of U.S. president Abraham Lincoln); postal service began in 1867, and so did the first regular transportation service between New Westminster and Burrard Inlet . . . by stagecoach!
Since the beginning, we’ve focused on providing the highest quality service for all of our customers. Whether we’re escorting a newlywed couple on their wedding day, taking a family to the cruise ship terminal in Vancouver, picking up an executive from Vancouver International Airport, or transporting a group of friends to Whistler and back, we take great care to ensure that our customers have the best experience possible.
William Van Horne is also responsible for the city's name. The legend, likely true, is that an excited Van Horne was rowed around what became Stanley Park by the CPR's local land commissioner Lauchlan Hamiltonanother version has realtor Alexander Wellington Ross at the oarsand exclaimed that the city was destined to be a great one and must have a name commensurate with its greatness. Nobody would know where Granville was, Van Horne told whoever was rowing, but everyone knew of Captain Vancouver's Pacific explorations. The town's new name was in use early: the first issue of the city's first newspaper, the Vancouver Weekly Herald and North Pacific News, preceded incorporation by three months.