Passing the research progress report requirement is normally the last step leading to Ph.D. candidacy. Thus, the Ph.D. requirements expected in the first and second years normally must be completed before the student may complete the progress report orals and advance to candidacy. The report requirement includes a poster presentation to the entire department, a written report, and an oral exam by the Advisory Committee. While two semesters as a teaching assistant are required to advance to candidacy, exceptional circumstances may occasionally delay a student's completion of this requirement and this will not require a delay in completing the progress report requirement.
Scholarly Journal Articles: Some topics, like U.S. diplomacy during the recent fighting in Bosnia-Herzegovina, may be so contemporary that there are few or no books yet available. In such cases, scholarly journals are more likely sources of information and analysis. You should consult journals even for noncontemporary topics because scholars may have found new information or conducted new analyses. The places to find journal articles are the , the , the S, and the . You should be able to find most, if not all of these, in your library's reference room. Just a few of the leading journals in foreign policy and international affairs are and There are also many journals such as the that contain general political science research.
Your job is not quite finished. After writing the paper, you must prepare its physical presentation. Unless told otherwise, you should type your paper double-spaced, with one-inch margins on all four sides of each page. Your paper should feature a title page, the body of the paper, and then the bibliography, "Works Cited," or "References" page(s). If your instructor prefers some variation of this model, that will usually be specified in advance. Once again, it is important to stress that a paper is a whole product. A paper that contains impeccable research, cogent analysis, and brilliant writing will still evoke a negative reaction from the reader if it is wrinkled, printed sloppily, or barely readable because the ink on the ribbon is exhausted. Some general guidelines include:
1. It is incorrect to believe that only quotations require citations. You should also insert a note whenever you are relying on someone else's thoughts or research, even if you are only paraphrasing (putting it in your own words).
Authors acknowledge outside reviewers of their drafts (in PI courses, this would be done if an instructor or other individual critiqued the draft prior to evaluation) and any sources of funding that supported the research.
- Environmental Protection Agency research papers examine the agency of the United States federal government that is charged with protecting human health and the environment.
1. This will give you a broad grasp of your topic and will help you identify what is important and on what you need to focus your research. Simply jumping in and beginning to do research in specialized studies can often waste a considerable amount of your time. Textbooks can also be helpful. For many topics, one starting point might be a U.S. diplomatic history text such as (Paterson, Clifford, & Hagan, 1991a, b). A general introduction to international relations such as (Rourke, 1995) might also prove helpful to gain an overview of a topic.
This page is designed to show you how to write a research project on the topic you see to the left. Use our sample or order a custom written research paper from Paper Masters.
- Environmental and Occupational Health Issue research papers discuss how to order a paper on global warming giving specific instructions on the format of the paper.
- Environmental Policy research papers discuss an organization or governmentâs commitment to laws, regulations, and policy mechanism that are concerned with the environment and sustainability.
- Environmental Sustainability research papers discuss sustainability in the farming paradigm and examine the three main farming systems that environmental sustainability has to be considered in.
- History of Filmmaking research papers discuss the history of motion picture and examine the differing techniques used in filmmaking through the years.
- Global Warming Prevention research papers discuss what solutions to global warming have been put forth by scientists and politicians such as Al Gore.
- Energy efficient building research papers illustrate that building with energy efficiency in mind reduces long-term corporate expenditures and can contribute to net profits.